Here it is, ladies and gents... the national dish of Korea, kimchi! It's served as a side dish in pretty much every restaurant with pretty much any order. And I eat it each time it's placed in front of me in the hope that I will soon love it as much as the Koreans do. For the moment, I really only like it when it's cooked and served in/on something, but I'm not giving up yet! By the time I leave, I promise to be addicted.

Here are a few interesting facts:
- Kimchi is traditionally made by bundling the components (heads of cabbage, other vegetables, and chili powder) in a jar and burying it in the ground to keep a steady temperature for fermentation. In old school villages you can see hay structures made to keep the ground dry.
- The chili powder that is so prevalent in kimchi (and in many other Korean dishes) was actually introduced to Korean culture after the time of Columbus. Traders first brought chili peppers over from Mexico.
- Kimchi contains vitamins A and C, and minerals calcium, phosphorus, and iron. Kimchi has very few calories and lots of dietary fibers, making it good for diets while facilitating metabolism. Kimchi has abundant antioxidants, anti-carcinogens, and is very good for your body, particularly your digestive system.
- Kimchi has a very strong smell. Many officetels come equipped with a kimchi refrigerator so that the rest of your food doesn't smell like kimchi.
- When taking photographs, South Koreans often use the word "kimchi" the same way English speakers say "cheese".
Class dismissed!

1 comments:
i like #5. i'm going to start doing that.
Post a Comment