Thursday, October 29, 2009

On Being Different.

There is no way around the stare. Not only am I the only person in the subway car with brown hair and blue eyes, but everyone else is Korean. The tattoo and lip piercing are an added bonus, as that's not really a thing here. I stand out in a way that is immediately apparent to everyone and I've never experienced that before. It's actually been pretty cool.

Since I'm going to be getting strange looks regardless of what I do or say or wear, I might as well go big, right? Right. Every style of leggings you can imagine, hats and scarves, mistmatching everything, crazy hair, kooky jewelry, funky boots...

I'm wondering what I was afraid of before! I am truly delighting in trying anything and everything I want because the Koreans will just sigh and shake their heads and think "Foreigners!" regardless. It's a carte blanche for the next ten months! And clothes are just the beginning, of course. I am finding a person I didn't know was in there. It's FUN.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now i really can't wait t see you!

Mimi Lanseur said...

bethany! i love those non-restrictive-pants! get it girl!!