This place was absolutely made for me. The sign outside says "Bradenburn: Classical Music and Antiques". Underneath that, "Wine. Beer. Coffee." Basically, it's like this:
You walk down stairs in to the basement and are met by a long, dimly lit room full to the brim with mismatched chairs, tables, couches, bureaus, lamps, you name it. Think Kims Antiques (any Gilmore Girls fans in the house?). It smells like Schnell cottage or the Ginger-- kind of musty and old, but not in a bad way. And it's a bar. And it only plays classical music. WHO THOUGHT OF THIS?! It's amazing. During my visit this evening, I heard the first three Chandos Anthems by Handel while drinking (an extremely overpriced) Sam Adams. I sat there and sipped my brew while reading some of the books I nicked from the library. This has become my new favorite thing to do.
On the third floor of the school, there is this little library where we take the kids once a week to take home a few English books, and it is an absolute treasure trove. Every single book I loved as a kid is there, and I have been reading one every day. James and the Giant Peach. The Magician's Nephew. Walk Two Moons. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm. The Giver. A Wrinkle in Time (my current book of choice). Number the Stars. The BFG. Where the Red Fern Grows. The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I could fill up a couple more paragraphs, if you like.
Moving on, teaching is going really well. The best, surprisingly... is kindergarten. I have never fallen in love with people the way I have with these little buggers. I am absolutely wild about them. I first realized it when I woke up on a Monday morning in a major funk and was all grouchy about going to work. By the time my lunch break rolled around, I was all smiles and full of energy-- I just like being with them. Most of the time :-) Here's a pic, sans Steven, of the class with my Korean co-teacher.
And that's the news. I miss you all something fierce. Feeling a little homesick...

4 comments:
WTF?! why don't they have those kinds of bars here?! i'm super jealous. i might go to seoul just to go there.
so, do you teach several different grades, just at different times of the day? how are your days set up?
we miss you, too :(
although, i haven't really seen anyone for a month, either.
we should all video chat on thanksgiving or something.
I like your blog lots! Thanks for sharing your experiences, yo!
miss you Bethany and you too helen its crazy here from having 2 amazing sisters living with you or fairly close, who you hang with alot ( saying as were sisters) to in one week having both of them gone its very sad so LOVE you both sooooo much
oh i miss you bethany and you too helen its crazy here form having 2 sisters that you hang out with alot ( saying as were sisters) and talk to alot, and then in one week they are both gone and i get to be the little high schooler living alone it is sad so LOVE you both sooooo much and hope your having LOTS and LOTS of fun... with out me
Post a Comment